Thursday, August 8, 2013

Shouldn't You Be Working?

I'm a teacher - so yes, I have the summers off. Over the course of the past few weeks I've noticed some things about the "real working world." Things I've probably been vaguely aware about, but never really paid any attention to. It got me wondering why these workers aren't criticized as much as teachers are.

* Men in 3 piece suits vacuum out their cars in the middle of the work day. I've seen this on more than one occasion. Shouldn't they be in an office somewhere, in a meeting or on a conference call?

* People "step out" alot. Do you know how many times I've called a doctor, etc. and have been told, "Oh they've stepped out for a bit." Stepped out where? In my job I can't step out anywhere without 26 pairs of feet following me.

* Workers for a certain telephone/cable company love to sit in their trucks under a shady tree and read the newspaper.....for hours! Must be nice. I never sit down at my job.

* Workers for competing telephone and cable companies love to park their trucks next to one another in parking lots and shoot the sh*t.....again, for hours! If I'm caught talking to a friend I'm asked what standard am I meeting.

* People take really long lunches! And they certainly don't seem to be in any hurry to get back to their jobs. I'm lucky if I get 15 minutes to eat my lunch AND use the bathroom.

Yes, I have the summers off. Deal with it. I have earned every second of this peace. My guess is that if any of the people who give flak about teachers and their summers off tried to work in the environment I do, they wouldn't last more than twenty minutes.

No comments: