Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tribute To E Squared

Earlier this month I had the privilege of watching my friend's two children for five days while she and her hubby went to the sunshine state for a little R&R. I did my fair share of babysitting throughout high school and college, so I volunteered to do this without a second thought. Surprisingly though, there were a few people out there who were quite taken aback and questioned my ability to take on the task. Apparently being 38, single and without children doesn't make me qualified to be around kids...someone better tell my principal!
I'm here now to report that the three of us survived without a scratch! No one cried or had to be carted off to the ER. We ended each day fed, clean and with homework done. I'm not saying it was easy because I've never been one to say that parenthood is a piece of cake. I see what my friends go through, it's a job and it's hard! It was a learning experience for me and I definitely came away from it with a better appreciation for all parents out there.
Here's just a few of the lessons learned:

* You are exhausted at the end of the day! I thought I'd have trouble sleeping at night because I'd be worried about not hearing someone getting up, etc. That went right out the window after the first night. Sleep was definitely not a problem. In fact, I think those 5 nights were the best sleep I've had in quite awhile....
* Kid's clothes have the ability to multiply right before your eyes. No matter how many times you put something in the hamper, you can turn around and there will be three more shirts on the floor. I don't know how it happened because they only wore one outfit a day, but the clothes seemed to be taking over the house....
* Peanut butter jars are recycable, but a bitch to clean out before you can put it in the blue bin....
* Kids will do the sweetest things - like make your bed for you while you're in the shower....
* Kids sleepwalk! They'll come downstairs and have an entire conversation with you and not remember it the next morning....
* Apparently standing in the shower causes children to have to poop....
* The drop-off line at school is one-way for a reason and everyone should follow that rule! Now rest assured, I was not the one that went in the wrong way. Some other lady did and she got some pretty hefty glares thrown her way by the people trying to go the right way....
* Kids can learn the words to a song faster than you can blink and will sing it incessantly for days....
* Going for a scooter ride and a walk on the bike path is a great idea. Just keep in mind that you have to double back the distance you go in one direction in order to get back to the car. Little legs get tired....

Thanks to E Squared for being the awesome kids that they are. I think of you every time I hear a certain song on the radio. Thanks also to their parents for trusting me enough to leave them in my care. I had a blast and would do it again anytime! :)

1 comment:

mamasita said...

E Squared's mom is very lucky to have you as a sista. They are 2 little boys that love spending time with one special person. The house was clean, there were home made meals in the fridge and two boys with great memories to share with family and friends.
We look forward to next year's adventure and maybe a summer sleepover.
How can one ever repay such a loving act of kindness?